The Hawthorn Building – A History

Discovery of the Arches, c1935

Discovery of the Arches, 1935

Discovery of the Arches, 1935

A beautiful picture. The medieval arches from the Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady of the Newarke were found in 1935 during construction of the North Wing, the final phase of the Hawthorn’s development. These arches are on display on the ground floor of the building, as close as possible to their original place of discovery (picture courtesy of DMU Archives).

Bookmark the permalink.